CeraShield has designed a contractors checklist for use by captains, crew, and yacht managers, to ensure that the service you choose meets all the necessary requirements.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and conditions contain important information. To avoid any uncertainty during the execution of the project and any warranty issues that may follow, it is vital that any company quoting provide terms and conditions.
- What is included in the contract?
- What is excluded?
- What circumstances could/would void the warranty?
- What is the service provider’s warranty policy?
- How is additional work outside of the original scope of works charged for?
Often companies with extended warranties will have clauses regarding the gloss of the coating. Down gloss should average 10 GU (Gloss Units) a year.
Removal of Coatings
The most common question asked about ceramic coatings and surprisingly the question that no one researches enough is, “can ceramic coatings be removed?” Simply having a company say they can remove their coating is not enough. The paint applicators and paint surveyors need to answer this question for you before you agree on a company.
- What laboratory testing has been carried out to prove their coating can be removed before a paint job?
- Does the company have testimonials from vessels who have applied ceramic and removed it prior to repainting?
- Can the ceramic company demonstrate evidence of recent experience of removal before a paint job?
Actively follow up on removal references provided.
Seek advice from experienced paint applicators and paint surveyors.
As the ceramic coating industry evolves, much like the paint application sector, quality international standards are a significant process in the project.
- How does the chosen service provider manage their quality-of-service delivery?
- What recognised standards does the company adhere to, for example, ISO or ICOMIA?
- How do they assess their quality control?
- Do they use calibrated gloss readers to measure before and after gloss readings?
- Will the company provide quality control documentation and a final report?
- What environmental systems do they have in place?
- What is their health and safety policy?
Check the company has valid, in-date liability insurance and that all the workers are legally employed and covered under the company´s insurance.
- Request a copy of their insurance policy
- Valid global coverage insurance
- Valid work contracts